With recent happenings in our world today, Covid-19 has changed the trajectory of how we live, interact, socialize and for now, how we work. But for many, working from home will become your new normal. If this is a permanent decision you’ve found yourself making, then setting up a home office will be imperative for your success. Your productivity and professionalism will depend on it.
Here’s how you do it
- Carve out a space in your home
- Clear away any clutter
- Change the layout of existing furniture
- Make it calming and relaxing and show off your style, accomplishments and the things that mean something to you
- Designate a spot, a room, a corner in your home that’s a place you can go to and focus. Away from all distractions (as much as possible). A place everyone in your home knows is “out of bounds”.
- Clear away all the clutter in that space you’ve accumulated over the past year. It’s Spring time ya’ll! Time for some spring cleaning. You’ll be so happy you did and you’ll feel so much more organized just from taking this step.
- If you’re re-purposing a space in your home that is already used for something else eg: your Living Room then changing around the rooms layout will help you carve out and make the best use of your space. You may want to put away some of the furniture used in that room and move it into another room to fulfill another purpose. Just play with it. You have the time now to do it.
- Once you’ve decided where you want your office and you’ve de-cluttered, You’ll need to put your stamp on it. Make it your own. Consider how much time you’ll be spending at your desk, and the natural stressors that come along with just working from home, make it a relaxing space. Paint in your favorite color. Add accessories from all your world travel. Put up that art piece that brings you calm and plug in that scent mist diffuser to create the perfect ambiance.
With several years designing commercial offices and multifamily dwellings I have put together a few key pieces that you’ll need to help put together a home office that shows you mean business! Coupling functionality and beauty is the name of the game. Start this new chapter of your life on the right foot.
If you’d like a more personalized service and just need help putting together the right pieces. Setup a consultation with me, I’d be happy to help you during this time. Mention you read the blog and you’ll receive 50% off all our E-design services.